Tuesday, June 9, 2009

It's the little things...


Shea and I were talking the other day and after our first 8 months here we can certainly notice that we are growing more accustomed to German life. Don't get us wrong our German is still terrible, but the differences in culture that were at first so prominent, now are just part of everyday life.
But you find it funny some of the things that you notice you miss. Of course family and friends, but the other stuff you would have never thought of...I'll give you an example. Up until about two weeks ago, we had seen plenty of rain in our time here, but no thunderstorms...no lightening, no rumbling of thunder...the sounds us Texans and Okies are well accustomed to falling asleep to (and blaming for knocking-out our power and explaining why we are an hour late to work...wink).
So, today I am sitting in the apartment 16 floors up and watching a thunderstorm head our way...makes me feel kinda excited, just like it used too. I could see the "Blitz" (German for lightening) lighting up the sky, hear the "Donner" (thunder), and smell the "Regen" (rain). It was a great little taste of home topped-off with a little rainbow treat.
Tschuss for now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Geoff & Shea,
Your writing gives me the feeling I'm there with you enjoying all you are doing. You are a gifted story-teller with wonderful expressionary skills. It also makes me so want to get over to visit you both. This is the opportunity of a life time and I am so proud of the two of you for taking advantage of the relocation and traveling and seeing as much and experiencing all that you are! God bless you, and thanks for the sharing. I love you both, Dad Keller